Jeff grew up in San Bernardino, California where he fished the small streams of Southern California. His passion for fly fishing influenced his decision to accept a baseball scholarship to the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, Colorado.
It was during college that he developed his guiding experience while working at The Frying Pan Anglers in Basalt, Colorado and although he loves his trout fishing, his true passion is pursuing saltwater gamefish on the fly. In July of 1995 Jeff opened the San Diego Fly Shop and it became San Diego’s premier full service fly shop catering to all angles of fly fishing. Jeff specialized in offshore bluewater fly fishing and averaged 70 plus days per year fly fishing on the East Cape of Baja, Mexico. In 1999, Jeff sold his interest in San Diego Fly Shop to pursue other fishing and business interests, but continues his love for guiding and teaching fly fishing throughout Southern California and Baja, Mexico.
Solis on the Salt is his latest fly fishing company that specializes in guiding clients on San Diego and Mexico beaches.
Fly Fishing Credits
- Featured guest speaker for numerous fly fishing clubs and consumer shows
- Innovative saltwater fly tyer Solis Tuna Mosca fly was featured in Fly Tyer Magazine, Solis Foxy Clouser is offered through Umpqua Feather Merchants
- Radio guest for several radio talk shows including Lets Talk Hookup.
- Flyfishing guide and business consultant for The Reel Baja, a full guide service operating on the East Cape of Baja.
- Featured guide on the TV show Adventure Guides for Hook.tv
- Freelance writer for periodicals such as Fly Fishing in Saltwaters, California Fly Fisher, Southwest Fly Fishing and Saltwater Fly Fishing
- Currently writing a book on Fly Fishing Southern California Beaches